Each year, the Department of Defense (DoD) submits a Selected Acquisition Report (SAR) to Congress detailing the status, plans, and funding requirements for more than 80 major acquisition programs. The most recent SAR, submitted in December 2013, projects funding and quantities for major acquisition programs extending more than 30 years into the future. The SAR projects these programs will need $324 billion over the Future Years Defense Program (FYDP), spanning FY 2015 to FY 2019, and an additional $498 billion in FY 2020 and beyond.

This report summarizes the program plans and funding for each of the major acquisition programs included in the SAR and two additional programs. The Air Force’s Long Range Strike-Bomber (LRS-B) and the Navy’s Ohio-Class Replacement programs are not yet reported in the SAR, but enough is known about each program to construct a reasonable cost estimate. The LRS-B and Ohio Replacement programs are among the largest acquisition programs in DoD’s portfolio, as shown in the figure on the following page, and any discussion of major acquisitions would be incomplete without them. The programs included in this report represent 39 percent of the total acquisition budget in the FY 2015 FYDP. The remaining 61 percent of funding is used for hundreds of smaller acquisition programs not reported in the SAR or other programs too early in development to be included in the SAR.

The report is divided by categories of weapon systems: aircraft, air and missile defense, communications and electronics, ground systems, missiles and munitions, nuclear forces, shipbuilding, and space systems. The aircraft category is the largest among these, both in terms of the number of programs and the total funding projected. It includes fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and manned and unmanned aircraft for all four Services.

Unless otherwise noted, the cost and quantity figures used in this report are from the December 2013 SAR obtained through a Freedom of Information Act Request. The SAR data does not include complete funding projections for some programs, as is noted throughout the report. Unlike other CSBA budget analyses, cost figures in this report are shown in then-year dollars unless otherwise noted.

Source: ISN, CSBA


About The Aseanists Time, Unmask The Truth

The Aseanists Time is daily online newspaper and magazine covering on regional politic, economic, and social issues; science and technology, regional leaders, politic and economic in each ASEAN Member States along with ASEAN 6 (United States, Australia, Japan, South Korea, China, and India), regional natural disaster and climate change, regional business, finance and economic statistic and figure. Furthermore, We also cover on top 10 economic countries. Finally, we report ASEAN, EU and UN as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s